The World War II adage—loose lips sink ships—encouraged military personnel and their families not to share too many details in their communications. The advantage of being tight-lipped was the safety of the troops. Loose ligaments in your feet can cause problems, too. They are thought to be one of the reasons your big toe can become misaligned, causing a bunion.
On the other hand, they also have an advantage. If you have a bunion, but your joints are fairly loose and flexible, it may not hurt as badly, and treating bunion pain may only require various home remedies. If your joints are stiff or arthritic, pain may occur earlier and be more intense, making surgical correction more likely.
If you are one of the lucky ones whose bunions cause only mild pain, try these bunion remedies at home to get relief:
- Lose those extra pounds – the more weight you carry, the more pressure on the joint
- Try warm soaks or ice packs to soothe or numb the pain
- Massage can help, and so can certain stretching exercises – we can demonstrate the best ones
- Check your shoes – make sure they are wide enough in front so they don’t rub against the bump
- Get moleskin or a gel pad from the pharmacy to protect and cushion the bump from pressure
- Ask us about a night splint – a device worn while you sleep which holds the toe straight
- Use our recommended pain relievers for bouts of more severe pain
If your bunion causes pain that keeps you from enjoying your life activities, it is time to come and see us at Sierra Foot & Ankle in Gardnerville, NV. We understand feet and the forces that can make them hurt enough to keep you down, and we want to help you find relief. If your bunion needs surgery to tighten or loosen ligaments and realign the bones, we’re experts at that too. Please call our office at (775) 783-8037. In the greater Douglas County area use our toll free number—(888) 608-8406—or request an appointment online.