You'd share your blanket, a few words of wisdom, and even a slice of pizza, because sharing is caring, right? But there's one thing you don't want to share with the ones you love—athlete's foot. This is a common fungal infection that, despite the name, affects more than just athletes. It can affect boys, girls, men, and women of all ages. Luckily Dr. Victoria Melhuish has tips on how to prevent spreading athlete’s foot around.
This type of infection is caused by a variety of fungi that belong to a group called dermatophytes. The fungi thrive in enclosed, warm, and moist environments such as locker rooms, floors, the surface of towels, and shoes.
Don't take this infection home with you. Here are some tips to prevent athlete's foot and ease any symptoms if the infection has already occurred:
- Keep your feet dry. The areas between your toes are especially at risk for infection. When home, let your feet breathe by going barefoot.
- Change your socks at least once a day. If your feet are prone to perspiration, they may need to be changed more frequently.
- Avoid wearing shoes that are made of synthetic materials such as nylon, rubber, or plastic. Instead, find shoes made from leather and breathable materials such as mesh or canvas.
- Alternate between different pairs of shoes. Do this daily. It's important to allow your shoes to dry between wearing them.
- Protect your feet in public places. When visiting public pools, public showers, or locker rooms, wear waterproof sandals.
- Practice good hygiene. Keep your toenails trimmed and clean. Try sprinkling baby powder on your feet or dabbing antifungal ointment on them daily.
- Don't share shoes. Athlete's foot is mildly contagious and can spread through direct contact.
With proper care and preventative measures, you can protect your family for a lifetime. If you're struggling with athlete's foot, Dr. Victoria Melhuish can assist. For more information on how Sierra Foot & Ankle in Carson City, NV can help you, call (775) 783-8037 or visit our website. We'd love to share our expertise with you and your loved ones!